Northern Liberties Veterinary Center
Call Us

(215) 923-1838

Shop RX Online
Online Pharmacy

Pet Travel & Certification

Pet Travel & Certification

A Pet Travel Health Certificate is a document used for interstate and international travel.

Pet Travel & Certification can be a stressful process so please begin your research and planning early to ensure that things go smoothly. Our USDA certified veterinarian can provide exams and sign the appropriate pet travel documentation for international travel. However, it is your responsibility to determine which documents are required and then gather them in a timely manner.

Pet Travel Certification

This document typically includes your pet’s name, age, microchip information, vaccination status and more. It will let officials know your pet does not have a communicable or infectious disease, and that your pet is healthy enough for travel.

Domestic Travel (Excluding Hawaii)

Interstate pet travel requirements can vary from state-to-state, making it essential to do you research before traveling. The most common requirements for interstate travel are a pet health certificate issued by a Veterinarian or a Rabies vaccination certificate.


In most cases, airlines will only accept a pet travel certificate issued within 10 days. Check ahead with your carrier to verify any special requirements before you make an appointment with the doctor.

Traveling Internationally or to Hawaii

We recommend that you to begin researching the pet travel requirements for your destination as early as possible, as obtaining all the necessary documentation can be a lengthy process.


Transporting your pets to another country or Hawaii can take time. Many countries have specific regulations regarding the breeds they accept, vaccinations, de-worming treatments, rabies titers, microchipping requirements, and potential quarantine requirements. In addition to country specific requirements, airlines might have additional requirements. Please check with your airlines on the documentation and paperwork they might require as well.


Some helpful links to start your research before making an appointment: